Participatory performance piece, 2017. Developed in collaboration with artist Liat Berdugo.
As part of 100 Days Action, artists Liat Berdugo and Margaret McCarthy invite participants to put on their favorite sweatband and come learn some new aerobics moves — resistance takes endurance!
Anti-Trump Aerobics tackles the anxiety of state change through embodied protest. Berdugo and McCarthy have created an aerobics routine which draws from Trump’s public persona, platforms, and creates manners to block these entirely. After all, “every era has its interface, and every interface determines how we relate to the world,” wrote Alexander Provan. In this new era — in this state change — we must prepare for lasting protest.
Anti-Trump Aerobics took place in the backroom gallery of Alley Cat Bookstore on Sunday, April 30th, from 2-3pm — Trump’s 101st day of presidency. Space was limited to 30 participants, and sold out within a day of launch.
For those who attended, aerobics props of long, red neckties were provided. No specialized experience was needed.
- Mother Jones: "Exercise Your Freedom of Speech with Anti-Trump Aerobics"
- Fusion: "Meet two California women who are fusing humor and aerobics to keep the anti-Trump movement going"
- Golden Gate Xpress: "Anti-Trump aerobics: a new way to protest"
- Allure: "There is Now an Anti-Trump Aerobics Class"
- The Independent: "Anti-Trump Aerobics Class Organized to Mark U.S. President's First 100 Days"
- Live105: "The Most San Francisco Thing of the Month"
- SFist: "Mission Bookstore to host Anti-Trump Aerobics Class"
- CNN: "How Artists are Marking Trump's 100th Day in Office"